bresboysmom

My life, as it revolves around the academic, athletic, and social calendars of my boys!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

New Memories About to be Made...

Change is always difficult, but change is usually good. 
Today my youngest officially begins his new hockey season with a practice game--I'd like to say "Big Practice Game"...but are practice games ever "big"???  New team, new teammates, some familiar faces...and my mighty hockey warrior is psyched! 

Joe (#26) and his friends get ready to check out
the USA Hockey workout during summer 2009.
So we're about to begin making new memories...and I"m excited about that!  That said, one of the interesting things that I've noticed recently is how my son has commented that he needs to call one of his old teammates...not in the context of being an old teammate, but that he needs to call Gant, Michael, Neil...etc to see how their practices are going so far.  To him, these are friends...not just former teammates...and that just makes me smile.

We spend so much time, money, and effort to help our kids play the sports they love, hoping that they gain much more than athletic ability out of the experience.  My youngest has demonstrated to me that he gained character, leadership...but most important right now, friends. 

Having hockey friends is a bit different than having junior high school friends.  Usually, a school friend lives in the neighborhood or within a mile or so away.  Hockey friends live miles away.  Sometimes you get lucky and have one nearby...but usually it is a 10-15 minute drive to get to most.  Being able to stay in touch with these friends can be difficult with the crazy schedules all these players have--not only during the season but also during the summer.  Our boys play other sports; our boys travel; our boys go away to camps.  So even throughout all those scheduling obstacles, the fact that my son still tries to stay in contact with his friends is very important!

Last night I had the chance to reconnect with some old high school friends and families.  I met my friend Kerri and her boys at our high school football game--her niece is now an "Eaglette"...high school pom-poms.  Oh the memories of Sandburg football games came back with a vengeance!  We also met my friend Mark and his parents & brothers. Mark has moved to Ohio and I just don't get to see him very often at all! And yet, seeing him and his family was seamless...as if we had just seen one another a week ago!  These are the friendships that last...those that time cannot interfere with. We all have busy lives with assorted scheduling craziness, yet when we do get together, it's like yesterday all over again!  I can only hope my boys experience the type of friendships I have...those that will truly last them a lifetime! 

So here's to new memories about to be made...but let us never forget our old memories that carry us through and bring smiles to our faces!

No comments: