bresboysmom

My life, as it revolves around the academic, athletic, and social calendars of my boys!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

What Inspires You?

I have always been easily inspired by great photography--a picture truly does speak a thousand words! So it shouldn't be surprising that I tend to follow some amazing photographers and videographers and their work. Each time, I learn a little something that I can apply in my own world.

So I am inspired by nature, by sunflowers (my favorite flower), by babies and by young athletes who are giving it all in their sport! That "the little engine that could" mentality is refreshing and inspiring to me!  Here are a few others that make me think and inspire me to do more:

First, a serious shout out to my friend, Jim Sibley. He is a communications professional and is actually the first person to inspire me to create still-photo video.  He created one of his first-born son, Joe, who was born premature and struggled with each breath.  Today, Joe is a college student and amazing athlete!  But it was that first video Jim made of his son that made me look at photography in a whole new light.  Yesterday, Jim unveiled his newest video tribute to his youngest son, Sean--a soccer player who will amaze high school soccer fans all over--or at least in our area!  I'd love to share this with you, but currently it is not publicly posted.  We'll work on that one...it's worth the watch!!

Recently I saw a blog post from Brandon Bloch, which I originally got from my AnimotoPro friends on Twitter. A comparison of the new Canon 7D camera to the new Barbie Video Girl--my first thought, "What? Canon has a new, cooler camera than what I've got from them now?" Then I realized that perhaps my search for a new video camera could end right here, right now, if this more affordable Barbie Video Girl was up to the task.  I knew it was intended as a spoof of sorts, but still took the time to watch...you should, too!  So I WON'T be heading out today to buy the Barbie Video Girl...but it would be a fabulous gift for a budding female videographer, between the ages of 7 and 12!

Finally...one of my guilty pleasures is watching E!  I admit it, I am an educated professional woman who loves to watch Kendra.  I first got to know Kendra from The Girls Next Door.  She was the young, outrageously funny girl who just didn't seem to fit in quite as well as Holly & Bridget did on that show. When she branched off into her own show I followed, and I've enjoyed every moment.  Let's face it...I know she started out as a Playboy bunny-type of gal; but she has grown into a wife and mom-role that shows it like it is. I don't have the hair & make-up crew, nor do I have the assistants and large home. BUT...she is most often seen on her show without "hair & make-up" and literally just says what is on her mind. Usually, this is not the kind of stuff a celebrity would want published, but she is as real a celebrity as I've seen in a long time.  And remember...I did admit this is a guilty pleasure...I know it is not necessarily good for me, it doesn't help my mind grow, but it does entertain me and make me laugh out loud. And laughing is extremely important!

Kendra recently inspired me in a new way. When asked about young girls who are inspired by her, she said, "Don't try to be like me...be yourself!" Now this is something I don't ever think I've heard a celebrity say when asked a similar question...and it is quite refreshing to have someone share this idea!

No comments: