bresboysmom

My life, as it revolves around the academic, athletic, and social calendars of my boys!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Family Guy Fails the Civility Test

As an educator and writer, I fully support and appreciate our First Amendment rights to freedom of speech. It is what makes our country strong and unique--and why so many people want to live here rather than their own home country.

I also appreciate the comedy and satire that many shows present, even when I don't necessarily agree with the "attack" they may be taking on a particular individual.  That said, I have to draw the line at comedies/satires that "attack" or poke fun at those less fortunate.  It is one thing to poke fun at a politician that you may not agree with; however, a direct joke that targets individuals with Downs Syndrome, simply because there is an association with a politician, crosses that line.

I have always felt that Family Guy was a bit "over the top" for me. I have watched it, and while I admit there have been funny moments on the show, I've never been completely comfortable with watching it regularly. It just isn't my type of comedy.  When I heard about the episode that pokes fun at Sarah Palin and the fact that she has a special needs child, and then I watched this episode (or as much as I could), I was sickened by the attempt.  I have several cousins that have Downs Syndrome and it pains me to see such a popular show ridicule those who have Downs.  While the show may have intended their focus to be more of a slam against Palin, it impacts all of us, regardless of our political views. 

We are fortunate to have the right to free speech in this country. I would just hope that those who want to make fun of individuals would do so with a little civility.  Joking aside, Downs Syndrome is not a laughing matter and taking a cheap shot at this disease has made it easy for me and my family to NOT watch Family Guy again.  I'm not suggesting a boycott...everyone can make their own choice. But I do feel this episode will raise more eyebrows and cause many to question integrity and civility.  And please...don't tell me it's just a joke. 

No comments: