bresboysmom

My life, as it revolves around the academic, athletic, and social calendars of my boys!

Sunday, October 03, 2010

Post Homecoming...I Survived!


High School Homecoming...an amazing opportunity for freshman to fully enter the world of dances, dates, and high school parties.  This is their time...and yet, this bresboysmom once again felt a traumatic moment about to occur...my son was crossing a new item off his "high school to-do list," and I need to further loosen the parenting straps that have held him tight.

Getting my son ready for his first high school Homecoming dance was far more stressful on me than it was on him. Sure, he was probably excited, nervous, etc about the event--but I was frantic, wanting everything to be just perfect for him. Typical mom.

It began with trying to choose the right flowers for his date--such a simple task, yet this bresboysmom even made that an event.  Thanks to one of the parents, the kids all gathered at their house for a Pre-party/Photo/Dinner event.  There were 28 kids there for photos...WOW! I fully expected the girls to look fabulous, but I was amazed at how well our boys cleaned up! Apparently the look for this year was black on black--and yet they didn't look as if they stepped out of one of the Soprano's episodes as I had expected.

Picking the foursome up at the high school after the dance(they are still freshmen, after all!) was a bit chaotic in the parking lot. I'm not afraid of using my car horn when needed on the road--but needing to remind other cars that I was "there" was crazy while parked in a parking lot--in a parking "stall."  Parents and students alike were at odds with the crowded space--trying to squeeze their vehicles through spaces that no car or SUV should fit in.  Luckily, my son, his date, and their friends made it to me safely and we were on our way...long before many waiting cars in that lot! Their next stop was a post-dance gathering at the same "pre-dance" family's house--again, I am one thankful mom to this family!

In the end...my son said he had a great time. And...in the end, that was my only hope for the evening.  So, stress aside, everything went smoothly and the first of many high school stepping stones has now been crossed. 

This is the wrist corsage...after the dilemma of selecting the
right flowers and arrangement, some have asked to see
what the result was! AND...my son said everyone loved it!
YEAH!  I know...simple minds, simple pleasures!

No comments: