bresboysmom

My life, as it revolves around the academic, athletic, and social calendars of my boys!

Monday, July 26, 2010

Who Do We Really Write For?

When I started writing this blog I was pretty much convinced that no one but me would ever read it. It was journaling, in a way, and it has always been therapy for me.  I have always loved to write and found this a rather interesting way to keep track of my writing...and I never was one to write by hand, preferring the ease of typing on the keyboard and that beloved "backspace" key.

Since I began about four years ago, I've written about personal matters, mostly involving my boys.  At times, I've written from the heart of emotion, other times I've written after much thought and mind-debate.  Recently, I've learned that I've got a few "viewers" who like to take the time to see what I have to say on any given day.  I am astonished that I've received such positive feedback. Usually it comes as a simple "kudos" pat on the back; but what has been more meaningful are the comments and emails that people actually took the time to write.  99% of these have been positive, coming from people who have experienced similar situations, feelings or emotions.  I've only received one "slap in the face" so-to-speak, and so I suppose I've officially been baptized as a blogger.  After all, you never know you are truly reaching people unless they have something to complain about...

What amazed me the most were the locations/countries that these "viewers" come from! In the last week alone, these are my stats:
United States 68 viewers
Canada 6 viewers
Belgium 3 viewers
Russia 2 viewers
Latvia 1 viewers

Who Knew?!  While I do know some of these viewers, based on feedback I've gotten, I am amazed at the distance my simple words have traveled.  I fully understand that "real" bloggers get 50 times this amount, if not more, in a week.  AND, I don't pretend to think that I offer any exciting information; but if something I write has reached someone who now knows they are not alone in their thinking, then that's pretty darn cool.  And as for those who don't always agree with me--that's pretty cool, too! Still, my focus is writing about my experiences as I juggle life as a full-time mom of two teen boys, both involved in athletics and academics, a full-time professor of legal hopefuls, and being the "momarazzi" of local youth sports, capturing it all whenever I can!  So it makes sense that whenever I find a product that will make this juggling act easier, I AM ALL IN!

Now...where is that Kindle I told my husband I wanted...

1 comment:

Libby Lu said...

Great post, Ann! It is truly amazing how far our words can travel today.