bresboysmom

My life, as it revolves around the academic, athletic, and social calendars of my boys!

Monday, July 19, 2010

My shoulder and arms need a Kindle

I spent this past weekend at our annual Girls' Weekend--this year visiting Lake Geneva! It was there that I realized I absolutely, positively need a Kindle...if for no other reason than to save my arms and shoulders! I am currently in the midst of reading Oprah, the unauthorized biography by Kitty Kelley. At 523 pages, this is by far one of the longest books I've read in a while...and since it is *new*, I am working my way through the HARD COPY version.  If I were not on sabbatical, I could not read this book.  I could never carry it on my daily work commute, even if I do take the train! Taking it in my beachbag at Girls' Weekend was tough enough, causing me to leave it behind on day two at the pool.

Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White, 3G Works Globally - Latest GenerationThat was when one of my girlfriends gave me a lesson in "Kindle"...and what literally sent me over the top knowing I had to have this!  OK, it is just too darn cool and cute! But realistically, it is slim and lightweight, and my friend Susan has over 15 books loaded on hers!! And if the simple ease of the minimal weight to carry weren't enough, I learned about the easy way to order books! Almost like a cell phone, the Kindle goes online to not only show you the variety at Amazon you can choose from but also gives you "samples" or about 30 pages of a book to preview for free before you buy.  I love the feeling of being in a bookstore, previewing what I want to buy before buying!  I had that feeling.

Another unique feature is the ability to switch from me reading on the Kindle to the Kindle reading to me! For a commuter who is in the midst of a good part of a book, being able to stop reading on the train and then have the Kindle read to me once I get in the car is truly wonderful! I have done books on tape before when commuting involved long drives, and the Kindle allows me to choose a male or female voice--keeping the story going in character if I want!

So if you are behind the times, much like I felt this past weekend, you've got to consider this amazing piece of technology--and save your shoulders and arms while you take a break this summer! I'm ordering mine!!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: