bresboysmom

My life, as it revolves around the academic, athletic, and social calendars of my boys!

Friday, November 19, 2010

Something Disturbing Fell out of My Newspaper

Each Thursday my family receives our weekly Orland Park Prairie newspaper in the mail. It is a "free" paper that everyone in our community receives, and I love that it covers the "feel good" side of what is happening in our community!

My entire family reads this paper...the boys look at the sports sections as well as the school news to see which of their friends has accomplished something noteworthy. My husband and I look to see what is happening in our community.  As my husband picked up this week's issue we were both mortified to see a full-color advertisement sheet fall out of the paper advertising, "Someone You Know is in Love."  This advertisement also had nearly 45% of the page dedicated to a coupon for $10 off for New Patients."  This was a full-color advertisement for Planned Parenthood of Orland Park (PPIL). 

I tend to be more conservative in my political views.  I do not support abortion.  I do understand that there are women who may need a medical clinic like this as an option--for many reasons other than abortion. And, I also recognize that there are women who choose abortion as their option. I do not agree with their choice, but I recognize that right now, legally they have this choice.

My understanding stops when high school boys and girls are faced with curiosity about their own sexuality and want to experiment--aren't we making it easier for them to do so, promoting there is a place that can "make all their problems go away"? Doesn't this make  it is easier to be irresponsible.

top portion of advertisement~in good conscious I
cannot include the LARGE coupon at the bottom.
So you can only imagine my surprise to see this bold and bright advertisement fall out of my paper.  What truly disturbed me was the photograph that lined the top of the ad--a young couple, clearly high school-aged, could just as easily be my freshman son and his girlfriend.  The message, "Someone you know is in love" sent chills down my spine, knowing that this is PPIL's way to reach out to Orland Park teens and say, "you are in love, come see how we can help you." 

In a society where parents are constantly struggling to teach their own children what is acceptable behavior, embrace the values of the family and/or their religion, and to value life among all else--knowing that every Orland Park family received this advertisement yesterday just plain aggravates me.  Some parents teach abstinence, some teach preparedness, none teach "be in love, share your love, Planned Parenthood will help you if you get into trouble." And yet...that is exactly what this flyer seemed to promote.  "We're Here" is their moto. 

Freedom of Speech allows this to happen.  Our Orland Park Prairie relies heavily on advertising dollars to publish and send it's paper to all the members of our community.  I enjoy receiving this paper--and I appreciate that is is free.  I just wish that 22nd Century Media, the Prairie's parent company, would consider the message it has jumped on board with promoting, by accepting these advertising dollars.

I am an educated woman who practices tolerance on a regular basis. I don't always agree with the views of others, but I appreciate that in America we are all entitled to differing views.  I can only hope that the values we have instilled in our children are strong enough to help my boys steer away from many of the peer pressures in life...and cheap attempts to challenge their values through poor choice advertising. 

I know many will disagree with me...I also know many will agree.

There is a documentary out titled, "Blood Money, The Business of Abortion." It is an honest look at the business side of what Planned Parenthood does, with interviews from Planned Parenthood employees, doctors and directors.  It is obviously supported by those who support the Pro-Life movement. It may not be what you want to watch, but it is something that anyone considering abortion should see.  And I'd just as easily like to show this movie to a young teenage couple, curious about their sexuality, interested in exploring...they should know what results could occur.

Blood Money...The Business of Abortion link to preview below
http://youtu.be/cYaTywSDmls

No comments: