bresboysmom

My life, as it revolves around the academic, athletic, and social calendars of my boys!

Friday, June 11, 2010

A Mom's Hopes & Dreams...or rather, a Hockeymom's Hopes & Dreams!

As a hockeymom, I am both optimistic and realistic.  I know for a fact that the chances of my son playing in the NHL are slim. And yet...he is convinced this will happen, so I am optimistic that his goals and dreams will drive him to achieve all he can.  And I know of at least 15 other hockeymoms who feel the same way!

After watching Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs this year, I was particularly excited to see the pregame interview with Jonathan Toews parents.  His parents have so many photos and video of their young son playing on the frozen pond in their backyard--as well as of his youth hockey days.  In some of these he looked about as old as my "Joe-Hockey" player! And when asked if they ever thought they'd be at a Stanley Cup game where their son was playing, Jonathan's parents responded, "it was always his dream as a young hockey player to play for the Stanley Cup."  So...my dream lives on.

I have to face it...my son models himself after these NHL players.  We have watched "The Life of Wayne Gretzky" video at least a hundred and fifty times, and the "Miracle" movie at least 300 times in car rides to and from games and tournaments.  He watches the Wayne Gretzky movie now while he practices his shot in the basement every day.  And when I got angry at my expensive dehumidifier that was banged up to no end in the basement, he simply replied...It's my "dryer" mom.  I didn't quite understand this explanation until he showed me a YouTube video on Sidney Crosby's basement "dryer", which was where he shot his pucks as a youth.

So we don't have a finished basement...each time the topic comes up, my hockey warrior has a fit.  "Where will I practice my shot?!" He has his equipment set out; he has the dvd in the player; he has his hockey tape that he uses on his old sticks; and he has his little square of "synthetic ice," otherwise known as plexi-glass!  (which by the way, was apparently crucial to his improving his shot this past year and finally scoring as a defenseman!)

A few years ago I learned about the "Stanley Tour" in our area and had our Squirt team head up to Seven Bridges Ice Arena to "meet Stanley."  Not only did our team get a photo but each player got to pose and touch Lord Stanley's Cup!  When recently discussing whether or not to head downtown to watch the Blackhawks' Championship Parade with the Cup, my son said he didn't want to go...that the next time he sees the Cup in person, he will be hoisting it over his head.  How can I argue with superstitions?

As I watched his hockey camp last night with Trent Yawny, assistant coach with the San Jose Sharks and former Blackhawk player and head coach (yes, I am a name dropper, but for a reason), the thought occurred to me that he was now being coached by an NHL coach...so my dream is not that far off!  And in six to eight years... there is that Olympic jersey we've got with his name on it...

No comments: