bresboysmom

My life, as it revolves around the academic, athletic, and social calendars of my boys!

Friday, March 20, 2009

Over-Connected?

When trying to discipline the boys we figured out early on that taking away any electronic device was the key! Whether we took away the Gameboy, PSP, DS, wii, or XBox, the ultimate goal of teaching the boys a lesson was achieved. They would act as though they were going through withdrawal--physically weeping, shaking, seemingly unfit to continue on with their day.

So there I was, just minding my own business and enjoying my own world of email and my family Shutterfly photo-journaling web page when a law school friend talked me into signing up for Facebook. I was sure this was something only for my young college students...but within a day I was addicted! I found myself feeling sad when no one had new updates to post, when no one wrote on my "wall", and when I didn't have anything new to write. I played games, learned who I was in a former life (Marilyn Monroe, btw), what AC/DC song I am most like (can't remember that one!), and more! More than all this, I did reconnect with so many friends from high school, college and law school...and also found "friends" from work that opened up their private life to me in a way I wouldn't have ever learned otherwise. It is nice.

So why do I feel the need to explore more? Why did I feel the need to "twitter" today? I remember my friend Amanda mentioning her "twitterings" in her blog last fall...she's been doing it for sometime now! And she is just naturally funny--so her one-liner comments always make you laugh. Why do I feel like I have anything to share in this arena?

I don't...but as my friend Holly told me today, "we need to stay connected with what our students are doing". My first thought...will we be "following" our students??? Won't they know?? Won't they think I am stalking them?? Silly new-twitterer...it was just an expression...the excuse that my FB friend Holly and I are now using is that THIS is why we need to twitter...so we understand better. Honestly, I feel like a voyeur...but who would have thought I could sneak into the private thoughts of Ashton Kutcher, John Mayer, or even Ryan Seacrest? Yes...the hollywood celebrities are on twitter and they are communicating with us normal-folk!

So...am I over-connected? Indeed I am. Do I need Twitter? No...it is actually just like FB, but I can't connect to the celebrities...and read the hilarious posting of Tina Fey--and let's face it, while making my one-hour train ride to the city, this will provide me with enough simple pleasures to make the trip go by fast! If someone took away my cell phone and I couldn't do this...I'd be just like my boys! OK...I am connected...I UNDERSTAND their pain!

No comments: