What a strange thing to be called...a compliment or an insult?
I was first called a "Momarazzi" at my son's hockey tournament in Wisconsin. It was a professional photographer who used the phrase, noting my camera and large zoom lens--all while I was busy writing HIM a very large check for the CD of 1,000+ photos he was taking of our team at this tournament. He photographed all four games and the championship (which we did end up winning), so I grabbed his attention early on and had him focus his efforts on our team. As the manager, I am always looking for good opportunities for the best photographic moments of the players, and I fully recognize my limits as a photographer.
Yes, I did take photos of the entire tourney. Yes, my photos did turn out very well. BUT...he was allowed to sit on the bench with the teams--something my husband/coach would never allow. And with good reason! One time I cautiously approached the bench to take photos just slightly around the glass at the edge of the bench--and my husband/coach was actually fine with that. Unfortunately, the ref made some bad calls and I felt compelled to let him know...and THAT JUST CAN'T HAPPEN in front of the players...so close to the bench, the ice...or really EVER. Rule 101 as a hockey mom...know your limits...and while I think I know when a ref makes a bad call, I have to keep my mouth shut! I am successful 50% of the time. It's a work in progress.
So I engage the efforts of professional photographers whenever possible...at least, whenever it is a good tourney, inexpensive opportunity, and other things like the moon and stars all lining up. Usually many parents (never all) will decide they'd like a copy of the CD and I can split the cost of the CD between those of us who want it--making copies for them.
Why do I do this? Two reasons...I love to photo edit, even the pro's photos...and I make movies. OK, not only am I a Momarazzi, but I'm also a Movie-Maker-Mom...not sure of the name for that one, but I am sure my good friend and neighbor who is a movie maker for real would have one for me!
I take photos all season long of every sport my boys play, and then I put all those photos into a movie slideshow. I started this so I could easily save the photos I loved. The movies would turn out so good (thanks to great software) that I started including photos of other players and giving them a copy. I now do this for all teammates on every team my boys play for...and while hockey usually has 14 players...doing the 35 DVD's for the varsity football team this fall was quite an experience! But it was an experience I absolutely love doing. And that brings me to my original point...being a "Momarazzi".
So...I believe that I actually intimidate the professional photographers at these sporting events. I think they know that my photos will end up being just as good, if not better, than theirs--they usually have a better lens (read "faster"...and I am sincerely jealous of that!), so they can do more. But I have seen both results and am satisfied that I can do a decent job!
Compliment or Insult? I believe they mean it as an insult...I take it as a compliment because it tells me they are intimidated, annoyed, and it all comes down to $$...they fear that if I am there with my camera, they won't hear the "cha ching" for their own photos. And...after being asked and invited to share my photos with not only newspapers and magazines but also true web media sports outlets, I am flattered to know that I do ok on this front!
I've got a ton to learn...and I really need that faster lens!! But, for now, my definition of a Momarazzi is a mom who adores watching her kids do what they do...and capturing those moments in film--digital or otherwise--and if that's me, guilty as charged!
No comments:
Post a Comment