OK, I was reading someone's blog who had just gotten what they called "drive-by slammed" on the mom thing...working mom vs. SAHM, moms who use daycare vs. moms who don't, etc... It made me rethink a few things I've written about my view on parenting skills, or lack thereof.
I realize that no mom likes to get a drive by from another mom...and while I might think that I have "got it right" when it comes to my own priorities, I do recognize that we all do have different priorities in life. Is it ok for me to say that I don't agree with your priorities? Absolutely! Is it ok for me to say that your priorities are bad for your children? Probably not...altho I can think they are, I shouldn't say it, at least not out loud.
I get it...as a working mom, I was on the receiving end of drive bys all the time, particularly from my neighborhood moms, most of whom are SAHMs. So it doesn't surprise me to know that this is a touchy issue for many. I hated being one of the few..and I do mean FEW...working moms in my neighborhood who would take a day off of work for the first day of school, and get strange looks on the bus stop--"Oh, did you call in sick today?" Like that was the only way I could be home for the first day of school!
So, in the future, I'll try to keep my soap box under the table...but I am emphasizing the word "TRY" because sometimes things just get under my skin and I tend to go off. Better I go off here, in writing, than let my verbal skills do the talking for me...out loud, where someone might actually hear me!
No comments:
Post a Comment