bresboysmom

My life, as it revolves around the academic, athletic, and social calendars of my boys!

Friday, July 21, 2006

The Month of July

July is my favorite month...it introduces me to a day of the week I otherwise miss, Saturday mornings...something I don't get to myself very often during the year.

August 1st (or July 31st this year) begins football for both Dennis and Joe. Five days a week, 5:30-8:00, for the month. By the second week of school, they drop to 3 days a week...but realistically, it is more like four or five if you count the Friday night "walk-through" practices before the game and the Saturday games.

September & October are filled with football games...and did I mention Joe also balances hockey at the same time! This year we're trying our best to make travel hockey and travel football co-exist in a comfortable place. This "place" will probably be in our trusty blue minivan...thank goodness for the DVD player!!

November through February we are in full-blown hockey & basketball seasons. Dennis plays basketball and it is an easy schedule to manage--just two days a week in the evening for about an hour. Joe, on the other hand, requires much more maintenance. Practice several times a week with a game or two on the weekends. By the end of February we are happy the seasons are both coming to an end.

Thanksgiving & Christmas...to hockey families, these are holidays that happen to fall around the times of big tournaments. Holidays are almost secondary to our lives...but throw in two birthdays in December (Joe the 16th and Dennis the 23rd) and you've really got a mess on your hands!

March begins baseball...but of course the spring league of hockey begins, too! Once again, super-jock Joe must play two sports at the same time...and both are in the cold! The cold continues through April.

In May we often get some lucky days of sun and warmth...but they are short-lived. On the bright-side, spring league hockey is done this month!

June is a "two-fer"...the boys are out of school and they have several sports camps to attend! Baseball is not done until the end of the month, yet there are hockey, football, and basektball camps to attend!

So...July is my favorite month...right now. Once we get mid-August, I will be right back where I love to be, 5 nights a week watching my boys practice football. I am sure Joe will have "just one more" hockey camp his father thinks he should do--and I love watching him skate on the ice. But for now, I'll take these last few days of July to breathe deep and prepare for the madness of being a sports mom...thank God I love it!

No comments: