So...what really does this mean, to become "healthier?" One might think it starts with a big exercise routine and calorie-cutting diet. For me, it started with education...I searched for resources to help me with my goal. In the end, no one is able to achieve anything entirely by him- or herself. My assistance came from two great resources...Snack Girl and Eat This, Not That. Snack Girl has been my "go-to" place for over a year now...Eat This, Not That was a new discovery for me.
At the beginning of this year I began subscribing to "Eat This, Not That", a weekly newsletter filled with great information on healthy eating. It's started as a book, with many different editions for specific interests, and is now published online by Men's Health magazine. Ladies...it's not just for men!
Author of the book, David Zinczenko, offers insight and news about what you should and shouldn't eat...and my eye opener today dealt with the "30 Healthy Foods that Aren't", part of his restaurant/eating out guide. I encourage you to visit the website and sign up for the weekly newsletters--you won't be disappointed!
Today's issue really hit home. How many times are we out at a restaurant, trying to make healthy decisions, and believing a meal with grilled shrimp and pasta would fit that description? Here it is...what I considered a healthy choice...NOT!
Olive Garden Grilled Shrimp Caprese
900 calories
41 g fat (17 g saturated)
3,490 mg sodium
This is directly from today's newsletter (learn more here). Not only does it take up 1/3 of calories that many people are allowed in a day (some closer to 1/2!), the fat content is sky high for a meal that appears to be "low fat!" In addition, what is even more alarming for many is the sodium content. Sodium is one of the prime contributors to high blood pressure, heart disease, etc... And for women sensitive to sodium, this could mean not wearing your favorite rings for a day!
After subscribing to this newsletter for some time now, I feel I am better able to make smart eating decisions--and have lost nearly 30 pounds since January to prove it! And just when I think, "I must know just about everything by now," another post pops up to surprise me. Whether you are interested in losing weight or simply eating a healthier lifestyle, this is one website you should check out and sign up for weekly online newsletters!
In addition, I must also credit Snack Girl, an almost daily e-newsletter that provides excellent nutritional information on healthy snacks. author Lisa Cain, PhD. Not only does she provide excellent tips on a regular basis, she is QUICK to respond to emails asking advice and questions! I've personally emailed her twice with questions, receiving responses the very same day (not promising she can always do this--she is a mom of two young children, afterall!). You can visit her blog and also sign up for regular email updates--WELL WORTH IT!
Snack Girl has helped me identify hidden sugars and sodium in processed food, and learn quick and easy ways to create my own food (yes, cook) from scratch that is the same as, if not better than, processed food options. Take the time to visit Snack Girl today and sign up for her e-newsletters! You won't be disappointed!


No comments:
Post a Comment